Home - Asbestos.vic.gov.au - logo

Dealing with asbestos in your home

I am a:

  • Homeowner or renovator

    Dealing with asbestos is the responsibility of the homeowner.  If you are unsure about whether you have asbestos-containing material in your home, there are options for you to manage asbestos safely:

    1. Use a Licensed Asbestos Removalist
      Contact a Licensed Asbestos Removalist to request advice on the safest way to manage asbestos in your home. 

    2. Working Safely with Asbestos
      If you are building or renovating, use the Working Safely with Asbestos tool to understand how to safely find, identify and manage dealing with asbestos safely. 
    3. Remove, Package and Dispose
      Friable asbestos should only be removed by a licensed asbestos removalist. 

      If you do decide to self-remove non-friable asbestos in your home, check to see whether or not the asbestos-containing materials are in good condition.  If they are in good condition, they are considered a very low risk. There is guidance available for the do’s and don’ts of removing asbestos.


      There is guidance available to help you package and label asbestos.


      Asbestos-containing material must only be disposed of at a site licensed by EPA to accept domestic waste asbestos. Use the Find a Disposal Site Tool to find your nearest EPA licensed asbestos-waste disposal site. 

      Contact the waste facility prior to transporting your asbestos-containing material to ensure you fulfil the requirements for disposal.

  • Residential tenants

    If a rented property is in a state of disrepair to the extent that, for example, a wall is in poor condition and is of an age that it could contain asbestos, it should be checked for asbestos and if present, treated as an urgent repair. See the Consumer Affairs Victoria website for more details about arranging urgent repairs.

    As a tenant, you can ask for information about asbestos in the property before signing the rental agreement. Be aware that the landlord is not required to have this information. Asbestos generally poses little risk to your health, provided it is in good condition and is not disturbed.

    Who can I contact?

    First contact your landlord or agent. You can also call the Victorian Department of Health for information and advice.

  • Builder or tradesperson

    As a self employed tradesperson or contractor visiting a workplace you have certain responsibilities in regard to asbestos.

    If the workplace is a domestic premise you are required to ensure that appropriate risk management controls are taken to prevent asbestos dust exposure. If asbestos needs to be removed, you can remove a minor quantity, or you should be arranging a licensed removalist. Once removal work is completed you or the licensed removalist are required to engage an independent competent person to issue a clearance certificate before work can commence. You can find a qualified Occupational Hygienist through the Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists.

Reviewed 15 June 2020

Was this page helpful?