Print Email


If a rented property is in a state of disrepair to the extent that, for example, a wall is in poor condition and is of an age that it could contain asbestos, it should be checked for asbestos and if present, treated as an urgent repair. See the Consumer Affairs Victoria website for more details about arranging urgent repairs.

As a tenant, you can ask for information about asbestos in the property before signing the rental agreement. Be aware that the landlord is not required to have this information. Asbestos generally poses little risk to your health, provided it is in good condition and is not disturbed.

The Find and  Identify Asbestos Tool or the ACM Check app for your mobile phone designed for residential settings can also be used (find in App Store or Google Play).

Who can I contact?

First contact your land lord or agent. You can also call the Victorian Department of Health for information and advice.