Find a licensed removalist
Use the Licensed Asbestos Removalist provider directory to locate a licensed removalist in your area.
There are two types of licensed asbestos removalists:
- Class A licence holders
- Class B licence holders
Class B licence
are only permitted to perform Class B asbestos removal
work, which means asbestos
removal work (other than limited asbestos removal work) involving the removal
- non-friable asbestos, or
- asbestos-contaminated dust associated with or derived from the removal of non-friable asbestos.
Class B asbestos removalists must comply with a number of requirements, including:
- appointing a nominated supervisor to oversee the removal work
- developing an asbestos control plan before the job commences
- informing all employers and other persons occupying premises in the immediate and adjacent areas of proposed domestic removal work
- using specific methods for removal, waste containment and waste disposal
- using signs and barricades
- providing decontamination facilities
- providing employees with information, training, personal protective clothing and equipment, and medical examinations.
Class A licence-holders are permitted to perform Class B and Class A asbestos removal work, which means asbestos removal work (other than limited asbestos removal work) involving the removal of:
- friable asbestos, or
- asbestos-contaminated dust (other than asbestos-contaminated dust associated with or derived from the removal of non-friable asbestos).
Class A licence holders must comply with the same requirements outlined above for Class B licence holders, and must also implement a range of specific measures to carry out the work safely and control risks, including using enclosures and always having the nominated supervisor on site.
For more information about the duties of Class A and Class B licensed asbestos removalists, see the Removing asbestos in workplaces compliance code.